Monday, October 6, 2008

Treasure Mapping

Treasure Mapping is an old idea with a lot of incarnations. I came across it when I was reading a lot about visualization and abundance. This Unity Church minister named Catherine Ponder talked about creating a treasure map to make dreams come true and I've been making a map most years for the last 10 years.

I spend several weeks collecting and cutting out pictures and words from magazines I like. I buy a heavy piece of poster board, at least 22" x 30" and I usually like a leaf green board for a backdrop of economic prosperity. I then cut 3 shapes, circles or petal shapes in different colors. Spirit lies at the center in a circle of GOLD or WHITE. I might cut out a heart for the inside or an inspirational saying. The first year it was, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of your heart." It was the saying that was on my nametag on an early church retreat. I spent a year pondering what delighting myself in the Lord meant and wondering what were the desires of my heart. It was an amazing year.

Four larger circles or petals go around the spirit circle on the green background - GREEN for money, career, business; BLUE for intellect, education, hobbies; ORANGE for health, diet, balance; and PINK for love, family, friends. Then I choose images and words from the magazines that represent dreams and actions that are important to me right now and glue them to the colors they match. In the green petal, I have job goals, businesses, houses, apartment buildings and million-dollar play money. In blue, I put my volunteer tutoring, writing, vacations and reading. In orange, I have exercise, balance, meditation, fitness. In pink are my husband, family and friends. Truthfully, each choice is individual so there's no right or wrong answer.

Here's what I discovered... at the end of a year, I could see what was vital, optional and no longer wanted. By looking visually at my dreams for a year, I can see my own truth, without deception. So being an entrepreneur, volunteering at the East Harlem School and writing, for example, stayed, and having children, with regret, was let go. In the warp speed of my life, it's easy to lose track of what's important. Treasure mapping helps me find that center again. Try it out for yourself and see.