Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Remembering What's Truly Important

Today at work, I heard something that knocked me back and made me sad. A coworker who is younger than me (early 40s, I think) had a stroke on Monday. He is in ICU at a hospital in Brooklyn. He has no health insurance as I didn't for over 10 years. He is a freelance proofreader too. This is the second person I know who had a stroke and no health care this year, younger than me. The first one was a very vital man who headed up my beloved real estate investment association and worked all the time. What's going on? Both these men worked a lot, exercised little, ate badly and were pretty stressed. That sounds like me, too. It's time to be more mindful of my own bad habits so my quality of living continues to be great. So today, I'm re-evaluating my priorities and considering what I love most in people and activities so I can do more of those. At a moment like this, it's time to smell a rose, whatever that means to me. Appreciation!