Friday, October 3, 2008

Ode to a Cabbage

I am visiting my stepmother in the country. A friend was coming over for dinner so she asked me to go out into the garden to cut a cabbage for our meal. Off I went with a big knife. I was surprised at how tough the stem was as I hacked away, wishing for shears. Finally it came loose. I moved over to the tomatoes and, collecting about 27 small ones, piled them in the center because I forgot to bring a basket. Then I proudly bore the cabbage back to the kitchen, Savoy cabbage. We discovered a woolly caterpillar had come along for the ride, extremely soft, and put him back outside. This Savoy cabbage was just beautiful, tightly wrapped in the center, light green, with splayed, huge deep green leaves on the outside. The outside leaves were quite tough and had many holes from snacking bugs. It was such an amazing, artistic vision of a Savoy cabbage that it's still sitting on the counter being admired. We had asparagus for dinner.