Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Unemployment & Freelance Uncertainty

When all your hard-won skills make no difference... It's the economy, the job market, the unemployment figures, the housing market, downsizing/rightsizing/layoffs, the budget, whatever.

I have worked steadily as a freelance proofreader and copy editor for over ten years. I have added to my skills as I saw markets shifting from legal and financial proofreading to publishing to medical copy editing. As an experienced freelancer, I keep my ear to the ground at all times wherever I am working and pay close attention to whether and where the company is gaining or losing clients, or outsourcing staff abroad. For me, that means added hours or cut hours.

For the most part, being a freelancer has suited me well until last year. I was paid well when I was working, worked steadily and had flexibility of time to study, tutor, travel, build a side business, buy investment properties. I liked it. Despite my skills, I have been out of work in the last year for seven months. My first reaction was disbelief that unemployment could happen to me, then panic when I discovered no jobs to be had, despite my best efforts. Even the temp agencies said they had never seen it so slow. Right now, I am in a job, already trying to figure out when it ends and what my next job will be. That's no way to live!

Multiple streams of income... as I work in my job for a bi-monthly paycheck, I am also building a small business (Cool Links: AP Flex Plus - saving money & earning extra income) with an exceptional team and I have investment properties in Syracuse. When the income from my business and real estate investments matches the income from my paycheck, I will quit my job and the income I make will be at least equal to the paycheck with no ceiling on the upside, except my own efforts.

Massive actions equal massive results in a cumulative effect... so I am acting...MASSIVELY. This uncomfortable year has been the perfect and urgent motivator to make change to my own circumstances, no excuses, permanent. ONWARD AND UPWARD!

No comments: