Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

In building my business, I KNOW what to do to make it successful. The question is, am I doing those things, or am I making excuses about why not?

1) Set written goals - numbers for the business (USD$ amount in sales;# of customers/referrals/downline members, etc.). Make a specific plan to make them happen. Be clear on the tracking and financials. Act and correct, keeping goals in mind daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. Assess plan periodically and make adjustments as needed.
2) Make sales - directly or in partnership with other entrepreneurs
3) Build a team - choose people with complementary skills and strengths
4) Be organized - consistently make new contacts, follow up and close; order work space, contacts and schedule for effective action
5) Set up efficient systems - be clear about roles, responsibilities and timelines for each individual and the team as a whole to accomplish stated business goals

Off the top of my head, these are fundamentals as I build my successful business. Yesterday morning, I went to a very good Sales Partners meeting. And last night I had a phenomenal evening of networking at a meetup on Fifth Avenue, put on by Andrew Ran Wong who organizes NYEBN. I met many interesting people in different industries who were open to taking a look at my business or to referring others they know to take a look. Perfect! I made over 21 great professional contacts who would be wonderful additions to my team and/or potential customers, if they like the business opportunity and/or savings (Cool Links on left - AP Flex Plus).

This morning, I was meant to attend a meetup at 7:15 am (NOT a morning person), doing a spotlight for my business in front of 8 other entrepreneurs. But this morning, I hit the snooze alarm three times and slept through the whole thing. Aaargh! So this morning I have excuses instead of results - so far. I am discovering that it takes fortitude to keep on going and discipline to shift my habits to consistent action. I have a choice now to either give up on today or continue to invite new team members and customers to take a look, despite the fact that nothing, so far, has gone as planned. And the only failure is giving up.

In Maine one morning, I was crossing a sand flats that the tide revealed when it went out. Usually I had to go the long way around on the granite rocks. I spied a tiny crab, perhaps an inch wide at the width of its shell. As my shadow fell on it, the crab backed a step away from the giant. Then, raising its claws, it advanced two steps towards me.

I need to remember, even on a day when I hit the snooze button too many times, that two steps forward, one step back is still being in action and moving ahead - in my business and in life.

No comments: