Saturday, October 31, 2009

Barack Obama & the Nobel Peace Prize - a child's perspective

When I tutor or lead my book group at EHS, my biggest challenge is showing relevance. What does the material being taught at school have to do with the student's experiences in life so far? Why should they care?

One recent assignment had to do with Barack Obama's surprise win of the Nobel Peace Prize, why he won, what the committee's reasoning was for their choice and who else historically has won. The student has superb memorization ability, remembers what the article covers very well and can repeat it back easily. The article talked about how Barack Obama negotiates well to bridge differences between nations and has made a strong stand for the elimination of weapons of mass destruction.

The last question on the homework was whether he agreed or disagreed with the decision. I found his answer quite profound and utterly relevant to a young person's life. He said that Obama said that if kids are not doing well in school, it does not mean they are stupid but they need to study harder and put away the DS (electronic game). Apparently, the school showed the video of Obama's speech.

While it did not match the committee's reasons precisely for giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize, clearly Obama reached children, or at least this one, when he gave that speech. I saw that Obama had bridged the gap between himself and this student (and any child will tell you that most adults don't listen well to children) with a powerful, actionable message. Even if you are struggling in school, you can learn if you work harder and avoid distractions.

I could take a lesson from what that student and Obama said myself at times. It's amazing how much I learn when I'm teaching these students because they see from such a different angle than I do, out of their own experiences. Wow!

No comments: